Thursday, March 22, 2007

So it begins...


Alright so first of all, I'm new to this whole "blogging" thing, so if I suck at it, blame yourself for not having shown me how to properly do it sooner. If there's one thing I'm not, it's at fault. Also, I'm not too sure if anyone will even read this. But I tried, and......-well what the hell did you do?

Now that that's out of the way.....hi! My name is Alex, and I decided about a month ago that I was going to move to the Northwest Territories, and I got here a week ago. Why did I move to such a hell forsaken place? (you might ask?)I have a brother/sister-in-law/2 nephews here so I figured why not. It's not everyday that someone offers to let you mooch off them for an indefinite period. And mooch I have. My sister also has moved up, but only for about 2 months for something to do. So your next question is probably, "Why the hell am I reading this blog when his sister most likely could create a far superior one?"........ummm well you see....there's this thing...and....uhh...good question.
-
Who likes geography! Because if not, I'm sorry but you're being really difficult. Just mess off alright? Anyways, I'm living in the hamlet (sounds delicious doesn't it?) of Fort McPherson, which is about 2 hours south of Inuvik (the main town of the Western Arctic region, and also the largest Canadian settlement north of the Arctic Circle.). It's also quite close to the Yukon border. Aw hell I'll just show you a map instead:

This one shows in relation to Canada:

And here we are, all up in its grill:

There's about 750 people here, of which about 50 are non-aboriginal. That makes me a minority! Finally, I have arrived in life. There's a CO-OP grocery store/post office, a Northern store, a Tent & Canvas store, and......that's all I can think of right now. I'm sure theres possibly 1 other place I'm forgetting. Okay maybe I'm being generous. I think I got them all.
So there's a brief intro to Fort McPherson.
I dunno how often I'll be able to update this blog if at all, seeing as how I'm currently unemployed and you all know how tough it is to find free time when unemployed. But also, because I don't know where I'll be living or working in the near future. So eat it up while you can! nyah!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for blogging!!
This is so much fun! I'm glad you decided to do this. Keep posting, makes me feel like you are not oh-so-far-away! Stay warm!!
oxox
action figurrrre