Sunday, April 1, 2007

How to stay active when common sense tells you it's way too @#$&@*$ cold outside to even think about going out there...


(Lets just get this out of the way, this is a real post, and not some trick, because as you may or may not know, there just isn't any April Fooling in the NWT. It just doesn't happen.)
Okay so its been nearly a week since I updated, mainly because I've been sick most of the week and apparently there must be some sort of bylaw here that when one person gets sick everyone else has to get sick. And everyone is very law abiding too it would seem. As a result, things have been pretty slow and noneventful all week. Somehow I need to find a way to blame this on Whitehorse Motors. Give it time.

Anyways, so as some of you may have guessed, it's a lot tougher to stay active up here, or at least to motivate yourself to get outside when it's -30 to -40 most days. But it is possible. And even more so now since in the little bit the weather has been insanely nice. (INSANELY!!)
In the shade or out on the river it's still around -20 or so, but when you're walking around the hamlet (now fat-free!) in the sun it feels much closer to zero, and all you need is a jacket on, maybe a toque. Believe me when I say this is a good thing.
The main thing I've done to try and stay busy is to walk out on the river or snow shoe, that is until I broke one of the shoes last week. But I do have a new pair on the way from MEC in the next few days. So put down that phone, for I will make it.
Right, so on with a couple photos:
Here's a picture of said snow shoes, pre-brokenness

Please take note of the special "I was manufactured in the 70's" aura coming off of the snow shoes. Although they were quite clunky and unstylish, they got the job done. Plus, they were always down for a spur of the moment photo-shoot. You go snowshoes! You go.

I had no prior use with snowshoes before a few weeks ago, mainly because when the hell would you get to use them in Nova Scotia anyways? But the feeling of going through waist deep snow while floating on top is basically better then anything ever experienced by anyone in the history of Canada. No- the history of EVER!!! Ok so maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but it's fun.
There's all kinds of different terrain to try out, such as deep powder in the woods:

Or a tundra like frozen river where the snow is a lot more packed down:

There's a few trails around which are mainly skidoo trails, but for the most part you gotta carve out your own paths everywhere, which is of course half of the fun. The other half is making snow angels.

(Please don't hold that against me)

But enough with the snowshoeing.

Luckily, I have access to a very nearby weight room. We're talking about 40 feet from the back door, literally. While it's not the biggest or best stocked gym, I can't really complain. Especially since there's no other gym to goto. haha You see my conundrum here, yes?
So here's the layout:



As you can see, there's not much to it, but it has most of what you could ever need.And what it lacks in equipment, it more than makes up for it in motivational tools. If these posters don't get you motivated, you must be dead:



The middle poster says something about how that guy is a cop hater and trains daily to fight cops on the street. Go figure.
So then you look out the door from the weight room and what do you see? Oh- it's a row of cell blocks:

One night I worked out and there was a guy screaming his head off in one of the cells. It was a good day.

So those are my main 2 sources of fitness, or main 2 sources of anything for that matter. Sometimes I feel a bit like my parents cause my sister and I will walk around McPherson commenting about the houses and the things on their lawn. Except instead of commenting on a new fence or car in the yard, we instead comment on things like new skidoos or Moose antlers nailed to the sides of houses. I need to get me one of those.

Anyways, that's all for today. Keep the comments coming, I've been loving those. Especially about the food. mmmmmmmmmmmm porkchop sandwiches.

Take care,
Alex

3 comments:

pooch said...

Hey excellent blog. Great Success!
I was wondering if you play the inmates songs at the gym on that stereo? Perhaps "We're not gonna take it"? That would be fun.

"Talk to the hand cuz the face dont wanna hear it" - my love, MLB

pooch said...

P.S. It sure isn't the same in this house without you on April Fool's.

Alex said...

haha I still tell people about what you did to your parents whenever april fools comes up.
Egg in the bed? Priceless! Grape Escape men on the carpet stairs? Brilliant!