Friday, October 24, 2008

A Tad Cramped...

It seems like every time I talk to someone from out East I am telling them about a new person that has moved into my place. Unfortunately, that's really not that far from the truth. For the first 6 weeks I was livin' large and in charge, as I only had Sadie to answer to in my big ol' 3 bedroom fourplex (a new word for me too since moving to Simpson. I always envisioned it meaning some sort of multi-staged wrestling suplex). Buuuuuuuut then I was feeling kinda ridiculous having that whole place to myself so I thought "awww heck, couldn't hurt to have ONE other person living up in this maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah". Just like that, a new to town nurse moved in. Life went on.
Then, after a couple more weeks, I thought to myself "weeeelllll golly gee, this here ol' place still got lots of room. Got that there extra bedroom just sittin' up there lookin' all smug!". And just like that, another new to town nurse moved in.
Life was good. 3 people! 3 bedrooms! We had reached a state of equilibrium! The gods were no doubt pleased by this.
Then, the clouds darkened, the ground trembled! Another person moved in! I'm sure I even saw a piece of what looked to be the sky fall down and put a dent in my truck! But it didn't stop there, oh no, another person moved in! Surely I had pressed my luck.
I will admit, my wallet was seen to be frolicking around the backyard, hugging strangers and telling them "I love you man. I love you."
But as for me, my days usually consist of trying to find an empty corner where I can curl into a ball. What's that? You need this corner? Oh. Do you know if anyone is in that corner upstairs? He is? Oh. Well then, basement it is!

At least we have an excellent spread of ages in the house. Statistics Canada will be so delighted! We cover just about every age from 19 to 50. Literally!

Please keep in mind a lot of the things I say aren't to be taken literally. It's actually pretty great as I'm paying next to nothing on accommodations cause of the influx of roommates. My food bill, however, has gone way up. I have to keep my strength and energy levels high! You never know when a riot will break out and a survival of the fittest bloodbath will ensue. So I eat and look all squinty eyed at those around me until that day comes.

and on that note...
seeya!

P.S.
I'm going to Yellowknife for a few days at the start of next week for work. I've already got lots of great games planned for when I'm in YK. Like "Blow as Much Money as You Can!" and other family favourites.

12 comments:

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

Don't forget the fun game called "I got gut rot from all the Tim Horton's coffee but it was sooo worth it!" game. I played it all the time on the runs to YK from Fort Rae. If you want a quick side trip to see another community swing into Fort Rae on your way through. See if you can find the Northern! And, as a hint it won't be the first one you see! :)

Alex said...

there's TWO Northerns in Rae?? Could it be!?
Surely I have misunderstood you.

I can't wait to play the Timmy's game in addition to "Don't You Think You've Had Enough Sushi Already?" and "3 Burgers for $10? I'd be stupid NOT to!" at A&W

jen said...

lol you guys are too funny and making me hungry. I can't wait to play those games when I head south in a month!

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

Oh yes, there are *2* Northerns in Rae. You have to go in there to see what I mean. But don't give up, the 2nd one is hidden. If you do, make sure to go in and see David, the store manager. Tell him we sent you. :)

Mongoose said...

So how do you fit five adults in a three-bedroom house? Bunk beds? Have you considered putting two sets of bunk beds in each room? That way you can have eight roommates. And if you put two in your room as well, then you can have eleven roommates.

Megan said...

Come introduce yourself when you're in town. If you're coming for work, you're probably going to be one floor down from my office.

Mongoose said...

And if you hot bunk, you could have 35 roommates.

jill_er said...

You know, I always loved "Blow as much money as you can!" in the Campbell household... (wouldn't Susie be proud that you're still playing!)

Mongoose said...

And if you hot bunk and all your roommates have insomnia, you could have 71 roommates.

Alex said...

what, may I ask, is "hot bunking"??

I like the track your on! Perhaps we can split the sleeping hours up into 3 eight hour shifts. I can increase the number of roommates exponentially! Someone would likely have to be hired to enforce these rules however. So maybe it's not worth it...

Mongoose said...

That's pretty much what "hot bunking" is. People who work different shifts share a bunk. Each shift sleeps eight hours, so it's three people to a bunk. It's popular on submarines, where space is at a premium.

But the way I figure, I can't sleep more than four hours at a time, so you can fit six insomniacs per bunk, right?

Oh, and then you can hang some hammocks in the living room, and get a few more in that way.

And with a bit of luck, one of the 100+ roommates you can accummulate this way will be able to build you a dog house, too.

No need to thank me, I like helping people. ;)

Tina said...

OMG Mongoose you're a hoot. :)