Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Today wasn't the day, but I came close.

I had one of those moments today that you always hear people talk about (at least the people I talk to) where they literally allllllllllllllllmost lose it and go insane. Almost.

I was walking into the Northern today, wait, no make that strutting into the Northern today. As I approached the magical sliding doors (side note: Ft. Simpson Northern has notoriously slow-to-open doors that make you literally do a stutter step to time it so that you don't cause a disturbingly embarrassing door-rattling bump) I was immediately greeted/confronted by a large bearded man wearing an all white lab coat covered in blood who yelled in my direction, "So youueeeerr the bloke who bough up all mai steeeewing beeeeef?"

I froze up, mid-step in between the now open sliding doors, not quite positive if he was actually talking to me or perhaps someone in behind me. Obviously I didn't want to commit myself by giving him a response only to have someone directly behind me begin speaking at the same time as they were the intended recepient of his message. That would only cause a whole new set of problems.

Anyway, I stood there mid-step, wide eyed, slack-jawed, kind of half looking behind me slowly as I still wasn't sure what was happening. Hell I wasn't sure if he had spoke English or if he was choking at this point. I gave him the eyebrow raise as if to say "hmm? Whassat?" and again he said "I sas so youuueer the bloke who bough up all mai steeeewing beeeef?"
At this point I was pretty sure he was talking to me, so I nonchalantly nodded at him. I think this was the right response because he smiled and then said something about it being "no worries".
It also turns out he was Australian, and that he is the meat cutter for the Northern store. Of course these things only came to my attention several seconds after he had walking away. And I should also mention that I did in fact buy 8lbs of stewing beef from there yesterday. But come on, surely you can see how traumatizing that would be for someone for that one instant! When did Northern get a dedicated meat cutter? There's an Australian in Fort Simpson?

I'm slowly recuperating now, but my nonsensical ramblings may take some time to fade...

4 comments:

Mongoose said...

Yeah, it's pretty weird the things people know about you in a small town. :)

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

Your Northern has sliding doors? Wow, ours here doesn't. That is funny though. :)

Alex said...

I know! I was overjoyed when I saw the sliding doors too. Of course I think I might take a working manual door over an inconsistent sliding door....

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Alex!

Paul, Shelayne, Abby and Ella xo