Monday, May 4, 2009

Venting...


Need I say more?

Okay so maybe I do need to say a bit more...

Feeling a bit frustrated by the lack of respect shown on the part of several (I assume) people in Fort Simpson. I went to the Friendship Centre last night to go work out (they have the weight room...see it's not weird) and what do I walk in to? Whyyyy a completely trashed gym of course!
Now I'm well aware that the gym was by no means luxurious in the first place, but hey, it's passable.
Now: shattered mirror, broken vodka bottles everywhere, and to cap it all off, our generous renovators decided to take a hammer to a number of items in there including the walls and the stereo. Bravo. Nice touch!

I've walked in there a number of times and had to pick up trash and weights, and I don't even mind when there's new graffiti, but this is getting to be a bit much.
Whenever I'm talking with a fellow dedicated weight room goer, we always get to talking about what could be done to improve the gym. Maybe a swipe-card system? Security camera? Change of location? Nobody can ever really come to a conclusion, especially so since there isn't exactly a ton of revenue being brought in by the membership fees. Makes me think that what will likely happen is the place will just get run into the ground and then the Friendship Centre will close the place. It's especially frustrating because we can never really justify asking the Friendship Centre to purchase some new items as they'll just be stolen or trashed. A number of people have even brought in their own items to better the place (equipment, stereo, etc) but of course, they've been stolen or broken.

Why do people do these things?
(Okay I'm not completely oblivious, I have a slight idea as to why, but even still it's just a tad frustrating...)

5 comments:

Megan said...

It was trashed? But what about for to avoiding others from injury?

Mongoose said...

They do it because they're douchebags. Did you ever write to MACA about putting a properly equipped, controlled-access gym in every community? I never did.

Maybe you should just get a job in Hay River. Everything you complain about in Fort Simpson is better here.

S to the U to the S..U..S..I..E said...

I like the swipe card idea!!

But have it at the bottom of the stairs...with a new door being there to go along with the new card system, yah?

Alex said...

yayaayyyaaaay I like that idea too...

I feel like if it was placed on the current outside door it'd just get smashed with a hammer.

You sure do have some good ideas Anonymous Susie....

and Mongoose: Nope, can't say I ever did write to MACA. But I SHOULD.

S.u.S.i.E said...

...it was actually Dan's idea...it's what I do, I steal peoples thoughts/opinions/beliefs and pass 'em off as my own...whatever, I'm a thief and proud of it!