Monday, November 8, 2010

Answer: $35

Question: Hi, I need to buy a 4-pack of AAA batteries and now that I think about it, I want to pick up a 6 pack of beer...how much do you think that'll run me?


High prices are obviously (I mean come onnnnn) nothing new to me, I know by now it's just something you deal with living north of 60. But every once in a while I'll go to purchase something in Simpson and I get a rampant case of diarr-uhh I mean a rampant case of sticker shock. I'm used to a small block of cheese costing almost $10, and a couple of chicken breasts being $12...but then I'll come across something where I go all "whaaaaaaaaaaaa? No....really? REALLY??"
Today was one of those days.

As I'm sure everyone outside of Saskatchewan knows, daylight savings time took effect yesterday and messed with my head and changed what I had come to accept as "the time".
So today when I got off work (perhaps I should rephrase that...when I...got out of work?) it was completely dark outside. Not a problem in itself, but that means I need to break out the ol' headlamps for every weekday snowshoe now. The problem here though, is that when it gets cold out (like say...-40C), batteries tend to crap out approximately 17 seconds after you step outside with them.
This means I'm constantly changing out the batteries in my headlamps 'cause I'm outside just about everyday. Okay so maybe "constantly" is a bit of an exaggeration. I'm not literally ONLY switching batteries in and out of headlamps. Sometimes. Once in a while. Whatever frig you.

Anyway, I didn't plan ahead by buying a big bulk pack of batteries down south this year, so I'm stuck with buying them at the Northern. Annnnd you guessed it! EFFIN SPENSIVE BUGGERS THEY BE!
$18 for 4 of them! Not 4 packs. FOUR (4) batteries!
Just to confirm that I'm not completely out of touch with inflation (why in myyyy day...), I did a quick check on Futureshop and they have a pack of 36 AAA batteries for $16.

Good grief Charlie Brown.


Oh yeah I bought beer on the way home too.
Yay!